In view of the increasing population of Bahawalpur, the need for another college was acutely felt in the city. Therefore, under the Government Education Policy of 1959, this institution was established to provide an educational facility for all and sundry on 1st November 1961.
At first, the institute was named Govt. Inter College Bahawalpur and the classes were commenced in a portion of the building of Govt. S.E. College Bahawalpur. Later, in 1971, the college was shifted in the existing building. In September 1996, the college was upgraded to Degree Level. In 1998, the Principal of that time, after obtaining permission on No Cost basis, initiated the classes of M.A. English. At present, to meet out the educational needs of the city and its suburbs, education is being imparted in this college at Intermediate, Degree and Master level. The college is offering post graduate programs in the subjects of M. A. English, M.A. Urdu, M.Sc. Chemistry, M.Sc. Mathematics and M.Com.